It’s important for our officials to create a good first impression as they walk onto the field, and that starts with having the proper uniform and equipment. See below for the requirements for each level of officiating. You can order these items with the links provided, but if you are looking to save money, you can find many of the clothing items (e.g., black shirts, shorts, rain pants, belts) at local thrift stores.
All Northland LOA officials must have:
- A plain, short-sleeved black shirt (preferably wicking). A small logo is acceptable but should ideally be blacked out with a laundry marker or Sharpie.*
- Black shorts with pockets and belt loops*
- Black ankle socks*
- A black Fox-40 finger grip whistle*
- Two black-ball penalty flags*
- A scorecard/template*
- A black hat with white stripes*
- Golf pencils*
- Plain black nylon rain pants (if working fall or spring games)
- A plain black belt with a silver buckle
- Plain black shoes (use a Sharpie to black out any logos or color accents, then use shoe polish)
- A long-sleeved black shirt or sweatshirt (if it is not plain, you can wear your short-sleeved shirt over it)
The above items marked with an asterisk are available as the Northland LOA Level 1 Starter Pack.
All Level 2 officials must also have:
- A short-sleeved striped shirt with flag patch and US Lacrosse patch*
- A 20-second timer*
- A 6-foot tape measure that fits in the pocket
- A coin that is at least the size of a half dollar
All officials working MSHSL varsity games must also have all the above plus:
- A long-sleeved striped shirt with flag patch and US Lacrosse patch
- A plain black nylon jacket (logos blacked out or covered except for Northland LOA or NILOA logos)
- A plain black bag for carrying gear to the field.
We will have certification cards for use in varsity games available prior to the spring MSHSL season.
Recommended additional items include:
- Water bottles and an insulated water bottle carrier (preferably black)
- A plain white hat
- Black dab-on shoe polish
- A large plastic garbage bag to keep your gear on the sidelines dry if it rains